Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GCode for case

Posted by shearder 
GCode for case
January 09, 2015 09:10PM
Hi All

I have lurked for some time - well a LONG time. I haven't had the guts to try this yet LOL AND i have to much going on - yes i know that is stupid!! But now i have been asked to do a custom board for a friend so I guess now is as good a time as any to learn.

SO the question I would also like to know is - if i make a custom box based on the board - i.e. i need cutouts in the specific places where switches are and butons etc etc - how can i do that so that it is exact to the board i am making?

Thanks in advance.
Re: GCode for case
January 10, 2015 04:47AM
What I have done in the past especially if the cutouts required holes bigger than my standard drill set, is to make a seperate cad file and then use that to generate a gcode file and route out the cutouts. I prefered this way due to the problems of pcb-gcode had dealing with arcs. You can also then do an overlay to be sure you have the cutouts in the appropriate locations.

HTH

Art
AKA Country Bubba
January 10, 2015 10:59AM
Hey Art

excuse my ignorance; when you say "do an overlay" is this within Eagle?

Thanks in advance.

Sean
January 10, 2015 11:59AM
Sean,
Well, lets try again so we may end up with a double posting!

Yes, I do a dxf file in my normal cad program and there is an ulp (I think its called dxfin or somethinglike that) which will pull the dxf file into your board screen but make sure your origin is in the same location etc.

I do not do the actual milling from Eagle, but generate a seperate g-code file using the dxf and my normal cam program. This gives more options on how to control the actual cutting scheme. For instance, Eagle will mill down the center of a line where as in my cam program, I can make it down the middle or offset to either side of the line.

Hope this helps.

Art
AKA Country Bubba
January 10, 2015 12:30PM
AH ok Art. I am with you now. Thanks again smiling smiley.

I use Rhino So i will draw up the DXF there. I'll use a 3mm EM so i will offset 1.5mm.

Should be pretty simle now smiling smiley I am busy with Eagle now. Actually need to buy the parts before i finish off as I need to be sure of availablity of particular switches and plugs before i finalise or i will have a problem hahaha
January 29, 2016 05:55PM
thanks for reply

gclub
January 29, 2016 05:57PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login