Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

G-code Sender Issues

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
G-code Sender Issues
August 29, 2015 02:00PM
I've just started experimenting with using my Shapeoko 2 to "etch" PCBs. The ULP seems to have produced good G-code, but when I use UGS to send it to the machine I get an error message. The message was very brief and I didn't get a chance to copy it, but it basically said "null". The machine did start to move (I had the spindle raised to do a test run), but at some point (I'm guessing at or near the end) it seemed to go crazy and was moving continuously in some random direction away from the work piece - until I stopped it.

So I have multiple questions: 1. Any idea what that error message was, or whether it was significant, and if so, how to fix it? 2. Should I be using something other than UGS, and if so, what?

Thanks,
Greg
Anonymous User
Re: G-code Sender Issues
August 30, 2015 07:38PM
I'm still not sure what was wrong there and I haven't changed anything, but am not getting the error message any more. Actually, I did change something: Previously, I was sending the file directly from a USB flash drive. Now I copy it to the hard disk and send from there. If something in UGS or the controller is sensitive enough that that makes a difference, it's pretty scary.

So I have now gotten it to carve. The results look absolutely horrid, but that's a different topic, which I will research here before asking more questions.

But I am still looking for recommendations for an alternative to UGS. Aside from the error message, it has done many things to destroy my confidence in it. What are you folks using?

Thanks,
Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login