Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generate milling: how to set slice depth?

Posted by xi 
xi
Generate milling: how to set slice depth?
September 30, 2016 05:47AM
Hi,

I have just discovered pcb-gcode, it seems really great, thanks!
I want to use it for drilling my PCB and cutting the board's outlines using the "Milling" layer of eagle (46).

Generating the GCode seems to work fine, I can load it into LinuxCNC without any problem and the path seems perfect.

Just one thing that I didn't find about the "Generate milling" option of pcb-gcode:
is there any way to set the depth and number of slices used to mill the outline of the board? Because currently, it seems there is only one pass at full depth, meaning it will cut my board in one step ... I wanted to use a 1mm diameter mill but it will most likely break.

Thanks for your info / advice.

Note: I am using pcb-gcode 3.6.2.4 with Eagle 7.6 and linuxcnc.
Re: Generate milling: how to set slice depth?
September 30, 2016 09:40AM
You are correct, it does only one pass at the depth that you specify! I also would like to see the ability to do multi depth cuts, but at this point, the only way to do it pcb-gcode is to manually modify the code to make it happen.
Another alternative that I have used is to the outline in cad and then cam that up like a normal part would be for the mill or router.
xi
September 30, 2016 11:18AM
Thanks for your valuable help. So no hidden options, that's what I wanted to know, thanks. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to add this option, but currently I think I will generate 2 or 3 files at different depths and launch them in the right order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 11:19AM by xi.
June 26, 2017 12:41PM
hey, I created the code for this ... how should I share it ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login