Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Settings? Mills inwards, removing wire trace

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Settings? Mills inwards, removing wire trace
October 21, 2013 05:47PM
Hello all,

My last success was with a small breakout board I did for a BQ24032 (20-pin leadless pmic). After days of tuning, it turned out very well. I didn't intelligently tune it, I just landed upon some numbers that worked, and stuck with it. Well, 1 week later I reloaded windows-xp without thinking, and lost my settings.

My main issue is the same one I started with months ago...

1st isolation pass cuts fine, and leaves a respectable wire. 2nd isolation pass cuts on the INSIDE, effectively "rubbing-out" the newly formed wire.... then all other passes are on the outside again, as one would expect.

Any idea's? thanks
Re: Settings? Mills inwards, removing wire trace
October 21, 2013 07:20PM
That's bizarre. Can you post a screenshot of your Generation Options?
Do you use the built in previews? If so,, you can press 'c' to turn color on. The first pass will be brown, the second will be red, etc. can you see the problem there?
Maybe you could post a screenshot of the preview too.

Regards,
JJ

[www.pcbgcode.org]
[groups.yahoo.com]
[www.facebook.com]
Anonymous User
October 21, 2013 08:30PM
First, THANK YOU for the quick response! it is greatly appreciated! This board is for a school project, and i'm excited to really "knock it out of the park" with the help of this fantastic ULP script.

I've included the pics you've requested. Currently, i'm seeking single-pass, but eventually I would love to work back up to multi-pass like I was doing. The previews show the multiple-passes if you look closely, but they are right on top of each other. I'm sure i've got a setting wrong, but I just haven't been able to find it yet.

Thanks again for your time & help!
-andy
Attachments:
open | download - multi_single_pass_SETTINGS1.PNG (22.7 KB)
open | download - multi_single_pass_SETTINGS2.PNG (18 KB)
open | download - multi_single_pass_ISOTOP.PNG (47.9 KB)
open | download - multi_single_pass_ISOBTM.PNG (23.1 KB)
October 22, 2013 04:48AM
All the settings on this page should be entered as positive numbers.
I think if you remove all the negative signs, you'll probably be good to go.
Let me know.

Regards,
JJ

[www.pcbgcode.org]
[groups.yahoo.com]
[www.facebook.com]
Anonymous User
October 25, 2013 05:27AM
The top of my Z-axis is at "0", and the bottom of my Z-axis is at "-6.5", So if I turn those negatives to positives, the Z-axis & bit rise when they should be lowering to cut.
October 25, 2013 05:49AM
Hello Andy,

My apologies, you are right. I just checked the manual and you entered the values correctly.

Here are a couple of thoughts:

It appears from the wording on the screen shots you posted that you don't have the most recent version. I recommend installing the newest version which can be found on the Yahoo! group linked in my .sig. CadSoft changed the internal representation of numbers in eagle 6, and that could be a source of this problem. The latest version of pcb-gcode works with Eagle 5 or 6.

Your default (now named minimum), step, and max are very, very small, and could be the source of rounding errors leading to the behavior you are seeing. I would try increasing those by a factor of 10 to: 0.002, 0.001, and 0.002.

I'm curious which school you attend, and what kind of project you're working on?

Regards,
JJ

[www.pcbgcode.org]
[groups.yahoo.com]
[www.facebook.com]
Anonymous User
October 27, 2013 11:02AM
The new software has been a big help already - Thank you.

With regards to all wires isolating twice, it kind of just hit me... I'm using a power plane on top. meaning, all my copper that isn't isolated on top-side is my 5v plane. Therefore, pcb-gcode isolates my plane 1st, then the wire second. To me, it looked like it was doing the wire twice, as I had completely forgot about the power plane.... whoops

I've increased the isolation width (in eagle) of the places to .01, which has helped a little, but I still need to get sharper isolation bits (because my last good one cracked when I manually walked the bit into the pcb.. again, whoops)

Andrew (from drewtronics) said he would get to my bits next week, so I will have to wait a while before I can update this with my findings.

Currently,
Default = 0.0001"
max = 0.01"
step = 0.004"
tool = 0.004"
zdown = -0.001" (should prob be .0006 to .0008 - its cutting a little deep)
October 27, 2013 12:02PM
Ah! That makes perfect sense. Glad you figured it out.
Eliminating the isolation pass on ground/power planes has been requested a couple of times. Perhaps in a future release I can have a look at it.

Regards,
JJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login